church

ABClogo

churchTop of the Hill Since 1843

In the mid-1800’s, a score of residents of East Lyme’s southern village of Niantic, weary of making the trip to the northern village of Flanders for Sunday worship, desired a meeinghouse closer to their homes. The Church was founded and the original sanctuary built in 1843. This building burned in 1866 and was replaced the following year. A fellowship hall was added in 1959; another fire in 1964 provided impetus for further renovation. A handicap-accessible ramp was built in 1982. A double cupola once graced the roof, but this was blown off in the 1938 Hurricane, and replaced with the current single cupola bell tower.

We officially incorporated in 1905, although we had already joined the New London Association of American Baptist Churches in 1869. In 1953 we ordained the first woman pastor in the Connecticut Baptist Convention, Edith M. Northrop. Two of our members, the Rev. Ed Bradley and Lloyd Beachy, have served as presidents of ABCCONN. 

Baptisms were conducted yearlong at the beach on Niantic Bay, or in the Niantic River, until 1894, when a baptistry was installed. Today, we still enjoy requests for baptisms at Hole-in-the-Wall Beach.

Newsflash

Upcoming Events

Wed Dec 02 @ 6:30PM - 08:00PM
Music Rehearsal
Thu Dec 03 @ 9:00AM - 11:30AM
Pastor - Office Hours
Thu Dec 03 @ 9:00AM - 11:30AM
Admin Ass't in Office
Sun Dec 06 @ 9:45AM - 10:15AM
Adult Sunday School
Sun Dec 06 @10:30AM - 11:30AM
Worship
Mon Dec 07 @ 7:00AM - 08:00AM
Men's Fellowship
Wed Dec 09 @ 6:30PM - 08:00PM
Music Rehearsal
Thu Dec 10 @ 9:00AM - 11:30AM
Pastor - Office Hours
Thu Dec 10 @ 9:00AM - 11:30AM
Admin Ass't in Office
Sun Dec 13 @ 9:45AM - 10:15AM
Adult Sunday School

Contact

443 Main Street

Niantic, Connecticut, 06357

860-739-5131

Mailing Address

P.O. Box 502

Niantic, Connecticut, 06357

nianticbaptist@gmail.com